Skip to main content

The Church


Church is hard.
Church is hard for the person walking through the doors, afraid of judgment.
Church is hard for the pastor’s family, under the microscope of an entire body.
Church is hard for the prodigal soul returning home, broken and battered by the world.
Church is hard for the girl who looks like she has it all together, but doesn’t.
Church is hard for the couple who fought the entire ride to service.
Church is hard for the single mom, surrounded by couples holding hands, and seemingly perfect families.
Church is hard for the widow and widower with no invitation to lunch after service.
Church is hard for the deacon with an estranged child.
Church is hard for the person singing worship songs, overwhelmed by the weight of the lyrics.
Church is hard for the man insecure in his role as a leader.
Church is hard for the wife who longs to be led by a righteous man.
Church is hard for the nursery volunteer who desperately longs for a baby to love.
Church is hard for the single woman and single man, praying God brings them a mate.
Church is hard for the teenage girl, wearing a scarlet letter, ashamed of her mistakes.
Church is hard for the sinners.
Church is hard for me.

It’s hard because on the outside it all looks shiny and perfect.
Sunday best in behavior and dress.
However, underneath those layers, you find a body of imperfect people, carnal souls, selfish motives.

But, here is the beauty of church— Church isn’t a building, mentality, or expectation.

Church is a body.
Church is a group of sinners, saved by grace, living in fellowship as saints.
Church is a body of believers bound as brothers and sisters by an eternal love.
Church is a holy ground where sinners stand as equals before the Throne of Grace.
Church is a refuge for broken hearts and a training ground for mighty warriors.
Church is a converging of confrontation and invitation. Where sin is confronted and hearts are invited to seek restoration.
Church is a lesson in faith and trust.
Church is a bearer of burdens and a giver of hope.
Church is a family. A family coming together, setting aside differences, forgetting past mistakes, rejoicing in the smallest of victories.
Church, the body, and the circle of sinners-turned-saints, is where He resides, and if we ask, He is faithful to come.

So even on the hard days at church— the days when I am at odds with a friend, 
when I’ve fought with my husband because we’re late once again,
when I’ve walked in bearing burdens heavier than my heart can handle, yet masking the pain with a smile on my face,
when I’ve worn a scarlet letter, under the microscope,
when I’ve longed for a baby to hold, or fought tears as the lyrics were sung,
when I’ve walked back in, afraid and broken, after walking away,

I’ll remember, He has never failed to meet me there.

-Jacob Waldron

Popular posts from this blog

JE BRÛLE POUR TOI

You will always be my greatest adventure. I love you when you are happy, but I love you even more when you are sad. I love you on your joys, but I will love you even more on your struggles because I know life gets difficult for everybody. You still deserve to be loved no matter how ugly the situations are. You deserve all the love in the world, no matter how little you think of yourself. I will always think highly of you, because I know what you can bring into this world. I know what you can do, and I believe that you can do a hundred-fold more. I love you even if and when it hurts, because I know that’s when I’d have to love you more. That’s when I’d have to understand you the most. I will love you during the brightest days, and the darkest nights. I love you when you are whole and full, but I will love you even more when you think you’re broken or half empty. I will love you even more – even when you think you don’t deserve it. You do not need to ask why I’m always around. You do not
  Within Those Eyes You have wonderful eyes. Not the type which drowns me in, But the type which makes me feel a little more alive. The ones which look cold; But deep inside, give warmth. They were beautiful. They made me feel beautiful. But beneath those eyes, I could see emotions, Or the things which you never told. Some fears, some regrets. The silence narrated stories, With the soft roaring waves. It held some secrets, some lies. Something that was imperfectly perfect. I found a something in your nothing. Something I needed to hold on. Some fears, some tears, And some illusion.

Take A Chance

If you never take a chance You may never get to dance. Life is full of ups and downs Bringing smiles and some tears. But if you always play it safe You may find out too late That life is meant to be Lived each day happily. You don't want to wonder "what if" An opportunity you did miss So take a chance In order to advance And you will find You will not be left behind. Playing it safe does not always pay You may regret it when you're gray! Poet: Catherine Pulsifer